5 Proven Tips to Boost Your Google Rankings
Every business needs a good SEO strategy and great rankings on search engines. Whether you’re an e-commerce establishment or a regular brick and mortar store, Google rankings carry a huge impact on your bottom line.
A recent study indicated that around 82% of smartphone owners consult their phones while shopping in-store. This shows that strong Google rankings play a part in purchases, regardless of the kind of business you have.
Fortunately, it is possible to rank high on certain keywords with the help of a good SEO campaign. This article lists five proven tips to help you boost your ranking.
1. Optimize for Mobile
Google has been pretty clear about weighting performance on mobile platforms more heavily than desktops. Mobile search volume surpassed desktop search volume back in 2016, and Google adjusted accordingly.
Now, the search engine utilizes a mobile-first index. This means that websites are ranked based on how they perform on a mobile platform. If your website doesn’t deliver a good experience on mobile, it won’t rank high.
The best way to deliver a good mobile experience is to use responsive website design. Responsive websites adjust to a device’s environment to provide the best experience, by automatically adapting content to a small mobile screen, a tablet, or a large computer monitor screen.
A responsive website requires a little more investment than regular mobile-friendly portals, but the money is worth it. These platforms deliver a much better user experience.
Make sure your website loads smoothly and quickly. Ensure all links on the site are clickable and that the menus are visible. It is also a good idea to make sure the website looks pretty on the mobile platform, as this also has an impact on user experience.
The most important factor to consider is consistency. Ensure your website provides the same experience across all platforms.
2. Publish Great Content
Content is a communications tool. It allows you to convey information to prospective customers and convert them. Content also acts as an anchor for keywords, which makes your website visible to search engines.
Did you know that businesses with blogs have 434% more indexed pages and 97% more inbound links? This shows just how important good content is to a strong Google ranking.
In order to stand out in the field of content, following the right strategy is crucial. Keep the points mentioned below in mind while planning your content.
- Plan for long-form content. High-ranking websites often have over 3,000 words of content. It is a good idea to include at least 1,000 words in your articles.
- Make sure the content has no spelling or grammar errors.
- Incorporate images and infographics in your content.
- Use keywords carefully and effectively. Don’t over-saturate the article with keywords.
- Ensure all keywords are relevant to the article and your business.
If you create great content, your company’s reputation will improve and you’ll see a positive impact on your Google rankings.
3. Keep an Eye on Page Load Speeds
Modern consumers are impatient. They don’t want to wait 10 or 15 seconds for a website to load. That’s why Google has made site speed an important ranking factor.
Most people expect a website to load in around 3 to 4 seconds, if not faster. The abandonment rate rises with every second above that threshold. That’s why it is important to stay on top of your website load times.
There are many ways to increase website speeds, including:
- Optimizing your website and refining its structure.
- Reducing the size of image or video files.
- Switching to a better hosting service.
- Making sure the website is optimized for mobile.
All of these factors will improve your website load times. If the website loads quickly and smoothly on all platforms, especially mobile, it is more likely to rank high.
Websites that don’t load quickly have high bounce rates, low conversion rates, and a poor overall reputation.
4. Carry Out On-Page Optimizations
On-Page optimizations help Google bots crawl your website. If the website is easier to crawl, it’s easier to use. That’s why Google ranks such websites high on their search engine results pages.
On-Page optimizations require a little planning and investment, but they deliver good results. Here’s a look at what you need to do:
- Add structure to your articles and related data. Google favors content with Schema markup. Such content is also likely to show up in the Google Knowledge box.
- Make sure your articles have great titles. Include a high-performance keyword and make sure the title is relevant.
- Optimize the URL structure and make it crawlable.
- Include clickable meta descriptions. Meta descriptions allow Google to create precise snippets for their search engine. That contributes towards user experience.
- Optimize images and add ALT attributes to them. This allows Google to identify the content of the image.
These small on-page optimizations have a big impact on your website ranking. They can also help your website appear more streamlined and polished.
Also Read, How to do Keyword Research in a Smart Way.
5. Get Your Links in Order
Links are one of the most important aspects of SEO and a very important ranking factor. Google considers inbound links from high-authority sources a sign of trustworthiness. If you have great inbound links, your website will rank higher. Just keep the following points in mind:
- Get inbound links from high-authority, legitimate sources. Don’t get links from link farms or buy them online.
- Include internal links to help distribute traffic. Internal links also improve user experience and compel people to stay longer on your website.
- Remove all internal and external broken links, they have a negative impact on user experience. You can use tools like link check to assess your page for broken links.
- Turn product or brand mentions into inbound links. You can set up Google Alerts for your brand and product names to find these mentions.
These tips will help you create a solid and secure SEO campaign, which in turn will boost your Google search rankings.
Bear in mind that Google cares about user experience. If your website is user-friendly and optimized to deliver the best experience, it is more likely to rank higher.